Monday, May 23, 2011

The Day I Saved Chip

The day started out just like any other ordinary day. Once out of bed --a quick shower, dress and breakfast-- then out the door to enjoy a day off.  I've never been one to sit inside and be idle. I don't remember what I had planned for the day, but I'm sure I had a list of "to do's" neatly packed inside of my pea sized brain.

I went out to the patio to check the pool, which was a daily routine for me. Within minutes, I was to become a hero. Yes, me...just a simple, ordinary, everyday kind of small town guy --soon to be a hero!

Chip must have fallen in the pool just moments before my arrival. It was obvious to me that he had been swimming frantically for a short period of time and was struggling to keep his head above water. It's times like this, that all of those hours of classroom training seem to pay off. I can't recall how many times I've taken CPR and First Aid classes during my career, but the numbers surely must be in the millions.

Without any further thought about my own safety, I sprang into action! Quickly, without delay, I grabbed the skimmer net and ran to the edge of the pool. Chip was in the deep end of the pool and it was now evident that his energy was waning. Time was of the essence!

Within seconds, I extended the long pole out to Chip's flailing arms. With the last bit of energy that he could muster, he grabbed onto the net and I pulled him to safety.

As he collapsed onto the concrete patio --his heart pumping like a young man's heart on his first date-- I carefully helped to dry him off while reassuring him that he would be fine. A few easy compressions on his stomach proved to expel any remaining water from his lungs. It was obvious that he was extremely grateful for my quick action to rescue him.

It took about twenty minutes before Chip was able to get up on his feet and slowly walk away. A feeling of satisfaction came over me, as he stumbled away, glancing back at me with obvious gratitude. I was thankful for being in the right place at the right time, and also for all of the training that I had taken over the years.

On this otherwise ordinary day, I became an instant hero to the chipmunk community --a sort of God, if you will. To honor my bravery and quick action, Chip and his friends filled my workbenches in the garage with gifts of nuts and twigs.

Thank you Chip!

~Safe Riding~

-The Chief

3 comments:

Adam said...

Lunacy.

Anonymous said...

Awww!!! (:

ERIC said...

Wow. It sounds like another few moments and your little furry pal would have suffered irreversible brain damage... incidentally, it appears you had enough time for a photo op. Hmm. :p