Sunday, June 12, 2011

Little Feet

Running and kids... they go together. Think about it. Think about your life when you were a young child. Once having learned to walk, you started to run. If you can't remember back to those days, think of some other child that you may know. Running is a natural thing to children. Sadly enough however, we seem to leave the running behind as we age.

I had the pleasure of running a 5k race at the Dorchester Elementary School in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey this weekend. Being a runner and having run races for a couple of decades now, I have learned to size up the crowd before a race. I also am very observant of many other "race" details, having directed my own five and ten kilometer races in my hometown many years ago.

This particular race was like most others in many respects, but there were a couple of differences that I observed, that I felt were worthy of today's story.

First, I noticed as soon as I arrived and made my way around the crowd of runners and spectators, that there were many children present. Many of the youngsters I observed were donning their race bib numbers in preparation for a race that would probably seem like twice the 5k distance to their pint-sized legs and feet. I love it when young people run races. It's very inspiring. I don't necessarily love it however, when a ten year old outruns me, but I still like to see them compete because --hey, I'm a good sport!

Once completing this well laid out flat and fast three-and-one-tenth mile course, I sat and watched as the other runners made it across the finish line. The number of young runners --I'm talking about those under ten years old, was unbelievable to me. What I mostly observed was the fact that they all came across the finish line smiling. They were having fun and it showed. Some of the adults were smiling too, as they finished, but all of the kids were smiling.

The other thing that I noticed about this race was just how well it was coordinated. From the registration desks and packet pick-up, to the placement of water stations and finally, the rapid posting of race results after the first runners crossed the finish line. With some humor thrown in, the announcer at the finish line did a bang-up job, calling out the runner's names over the loudspeaker, as she also encouraged everyone to give it their best for the last hundred feet or so of the race.

It's always refreshing to compete in a well organized race, and having a field of young runners helps to keep the kid in me alive and well. Running and kids... they go together.

Thank you Woodcliff Lake Education Foundation for putting on a great event!

~Safe Running~

-The Chief

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Congrats, Chief, on 2nd place!!!! Thanks for participating in our school run. I wish I could walk it...let alone run...lol...I'd still be running!

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's great to see kids running in races, even if it's just the short fun runs prior to an event. nice read, thanks.