Tuesday, October 25, 2011

And the Angels Sing

If man pays close enough attention to certain events in his life, he will realize that some of those events hold hidden lessons --life lessons.

It was about a year ago that I met Josephine. The day was a typical autumn day in New Jersey. After picking Patti up at the elementary school where she was teaching, she asked me if I would take her to see Josephine. I was somewhat familiar with Jo, having had a few conversations with Patti about her. Patti was her tutor.

Josephine was like any other six year old, and because I have always liked kids, we had a fun visit. Although the visit was short, it gave me time to learn a lot about this special young lady. An infectious smile coupled with bright and beautiful eyes, spoke volumes about this young and struggling for life, tot. Josephine, just a short time ago, had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

That night, as Patti and I enjoyed some quiet time together, I remember speaking about our visit with Josephine. I thought about, and spoke of my own existence, and how I felt that I had no right at all to complain about any of my own ailments. Although not typically one to complain, I realized that I often mentioned the minor aches and pains I was experiencing, associated with my recently diagnosed arthritis. "I don't even know what pain is", I remember telling Patti, as I thought about the pain that little Josephine had surely endured during the past year or so.

A few months later, Patti and I attended a benefit dinner and auction which was being held for Josephine and her family --the profits of which were being utilized to help defer the tremendous medical costs which were continuously growing. Josephine was there and I felt fortunate that I had the chance once again to visit with her, although only for a brief period. The love and caring atmosphere that was felt at this event was somewhat overwhelming to me. The thoughts I had felt from my previous visit with her, were rekindled that evening.

Patti was Josephine's tutor.

The reality however, is that little Josephine was really Patti's tutor. There was a deeper relationship than Patti teaching Josephine those types of things that teachers teach children. Patti didn't tell me this, in-fact we haven't really even discussed my thinking here or the fact that I'm writing this story, but I will state again --Josephine was really Patti's tutor, for Josephine helped to teach Patti about life. I know this, because I was also a recipient of this life lesson. It was a hard hitting lesson Josephine, and as I silently weep --know that it was a good lesson for me.

Last night, Patti received the call. Little Josephine had succumbed to the cancer. An innocent and beautiful little child was now an angel. I have no better way to say it, as my thoughts during this writing are clouded.

May you truly rest now --free of pain-- in peace.

In memory of the littlest of angels - 

Josephine   2005 - 2011





1 comment:

Patti said...

Thank you Chief for writing about what I learned from Josephine. Not only was I reminded of the fragility of life, but also the value. Many possibilities occupy each moment of the day, if we let them. I learned that despite the fact that you may have a brief encounter with someone . . . the mark that you feel might change you forever. Josephine did that for me. Wisdom, beauty, kindness, strength and love can all be renewed in us by the youngest of voices, if we let them. Thank you Josephine. You will forever be one of my most cherished teachers.
I will miss you my friend.