Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Miracle (Part II)

If Jocelyn had been aware of how anxious everyone was to meet her, she may have chosen to enter our world somewhat earlier.

She's here now though, and everything in the world is right.

Several months ago, probably around nine or so, my daughter called me to tell me the news -- "Dad... Manny and I are going to have a baby."
I was happy for her, and I tried to make that evident during our phone conversation. Though I tried my best to sound thrilled with her news, I know that she could detect a slight amount of insincerity. I'll admit once again, that I'm not really growing old gracefully, and the title of "grandfather, grandpa" or the like, initially didn't set very well with me.

But that was then, and now is now.

Almost two weeks overdue, little Jocelyn finally left behind her dark and warm fortress of solitude, and made her grand entrance into the world that we all know. The delivery had its complications, but the end result was perfect, wonderful, and extremely emotional for everyone involved.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I did have those feelings initially. Understand though, that I've always been somewhat vain, but I think being a grandfather now has helped me to grow emotionally. There, I said that word..."grandfather" and it actually makes me feel happy.

Thus ends the (written) story --The Miracle Part I and Part II, but it's really just the beginning.

I'm thinking that "grandpa" will be a frequent flyer to the state of California. For now though, I'll just pack my bags and hop a plane back to Florida. It's been a wonderful month Kristin and Manny. I enjoyed the visit --the San Diego Zoo, Gaslamp Quarter, the tour of the U.S.S. Midway, tour of Stone Brewery (what I remember of it- thanks Eric) and all of the walking we did to help Jocelyn along her journey.

Jocelyn Mae Laguna
Born 10/28/11 - 7:01 p.m.
8lbs 3oz
21" and Well Done.


~Safe Riding~

-The Chief

No comments: