Friday, October 28, 2011

The Miracle (Part 1)

2100 hours... Okay, for those who can't convert, that's nine o'clock p.m.

That was our arrival time at Navy Medical last night, here in San Diego. My daughter, son in-law, and I reported here after what has seemed like an eternity of waiting for their daughter, and my first grandchild to arrive. We are twelve days overdue.

So, like any good father would do, I sit here and wait patiently. In my dark corner of the room I watch and listen intently as nurses come and go throughout the night. I'll say one thing about this place --the service to my daughter has been top notch! There have been complications, but nothing extreme or alarming, at least to me. However, I do realize that it's easy for a man to feel this way --it's not my body that's involved.

As is usual for me, anytime that I am placed in an environment where I have thinking time, I do in-fact think.  Things that are typically relevant to my immediate situation are what generally flood my mind.

Wasn't it just yesterday that my only daughter --the one whom will soon have the title of "mother"--sat patiently in my kitchen sink for her daily bath?  Is this the same little girl who would sing to me each morning, the "acorn" song? Where did the time go?

My next "On the Road" tale will surely be about the newest member of our family, but for now...I sit and wait. It has been a long night.

Hang in there Kristin. The pain will soon be gone and forgotten as you bask in an unbelievable feeling of love and joy for a new human being that you and Manny have brought into this world.

0500 hours and waiting patiently...


~Safe Riding~

-The Chief

1 comment:

Patti said...

Great Job Chief . . . watching your child birth a child is not an easy task . . . well done Dad!